Potatoes, Potatoes, Potatoes! What a versatile ingredient. Our favourite way to prepare potatoes is making crispy, saucy Patatas Bravas Madrina! This crowd-pleasing recipe will also be available to taste at Toronto Taste on June 12th! Grab your ticket today to enjoy tastes of recipes like the one below from 50 of the city’s top chefs. We can’t think of a more appetizing spring foodie event!
Patatas Bravas Madrina
(serves 8 pieces of patatas bravas)
- 300 g peeled yukon potatoes
- Dash Kosher salt
- Slice the potatoes very thinly with the help of a mandolin, place them in a mixing bowl and season them with salt, once seasoned place them in layers in a baking tray previously covered with baking paper, we need to create 1.5 inches of potato layers.
- Preheat the oven at 350 Fahrenheit and then bake the potatoes for 30 minutes, let them cool for an hour at room temperature, and make sure the potatoes are well cooked with a knife.
- After, place the potatoes in the fridge with another tray on top of the baking tray and some weight for the potatoes to keep flat.
- After 5 hours the potatoes should be cold, now we proceed to take them out of the tray and cut them into strips approximately ¾ inch thick and 4 inches long, and keep them refrigerated.
For the Brava sriracha sauce
- 50 g Confit onion
- 5 gr Tomato paste
- 5 g Sriracha sauce
- 10 ml Olive oil
- 4 g White sugar
- 5 ml Sherry vinegar
- Put all ingredients together in a small saucepan and cook slowly for an hour
- Blend it until very smooth, let it cool down and store in the fridge inside a piping bag.
For the Wasabi mayonnaise
- 50 g Mayonnaise
- 4 g Wasabi powder
- Mix the mayonnaise with the wasabi powder in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth, keep the mayonnaise in the fridge in a piping bag.
- Fry the potato strips at 350 Fahrenheit until gold and crispy, place them in a drying paper to absorb the oil. Season with Maldon salt.
- Place the potatoes in a small plate to share, make dots of the brava sauce and wasabi mayonnaise on top of the potatoes just like in the picture. Sprinkle chopped chives on top of the potatoes.
Food Waste Tip
Store potatoes in a cool, dry place that is far away from onions! Storing potatoes and onions together causes them to ripen and spoil faster.