This month in our #DonatetheDifference challenge, we’re asking folks like you to reduce their food waste at home and make better use of leftover veggies, fruits, herbs and other strays from the pantry to save money, reduce your food expenses then Donate the Difference to help Second Harvest’s food rescue mission.
Now our friends at Diplomático Rum have taken our challenge a step further – they’re showcasing how too-ripe berries or other fruits you have hiding in your fridge can make an amazing cocktail to spice up the remaining weeks of the summer.
They’ve shared a tutorial video and recipe for their Canadian Berry Smash below – and be sure to follow @SecondHarvestCA on social this month where we will be featuring #thirstythursday cocktail recipes from Diplomático Rum as a tasty part of the #DonatetheDifference campaign in August.
Recipe for a Canadian Berry Smash
- 2oz Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva
- ¾ oz fresh lime juice
- ¾ oz Cassis liqueur (or any berry liqueur you may have at home)
- Handful of berries (we used blackberries but you can use any ripe berries you have)
- Berry ice (we froze Cassis berries in large ice cubes, but again use what you have on hand at home)
- Freeze your berry ice cubes in advance.
- Pour the first four ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Add the berry ice.
- Shake for several minutes and pour mixture into rocks glass.
- Garnish with fresh lime.
- Makes one zero waste cocktail – cheers!
Want to get more delicious zero-waste ideas like this all month long? Click here to sign up for the #DonateTheDifference challenge!
*Legal drinking age only. Please enjoy responsibly.
Thanks to our generous sponsor: