- 2 crowns broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar (white or cider)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Place broccoli and onion in a bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar until the sugar is fully dissolved. Set aside.
- Add sunflower seeds, raisins, and bacon to the broccoli and onion mixture.
- Pour the dressing in and toss all the ingredients until well mixed.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
“THE PREPARATION OF MEALS AND THE OPERATION OF THE KITCHEN AND DINING ROOM INCLUDE PARTICIPANTS OF THE PROGRAM WHO WANT TO GAIN SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE IN THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY. THE PARTICIPANTS ALSO GAIN A SENSE OF GIVING BACK TO THEIR COMMUNITY THROUGH THE HARVEST KITCHENS PROGRAM.”
Centre for Opportunities, Respect and Empowerment (CORE) is a day program that engages individuals with developmental disabilities in activities that support wellness, encourage self-determination and promote social inclusion. CORE provides dozens of participants with a fresh, nutrition meal and snack on a daily basis, with the help of ingredients provided by Second Harvest.