Hosting family and friends is not in the cards for this holiday season but this doesn’t mean we can’t share food with neighbours and our community. The Parkdale Activity Recreation Centre has supplied this simple-yet-yummy Coconut Drop recipe with that in mind.
INGREDIENTS (serves 20)
- 1 coconut, dried
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp ginger
- Salt to taste
- Crack open the coconut and remove the meat from the shell using a paring knife. Cut into small pieces and rinse.
- In a saucepan, bring sugar, water, and ginger to a rapid boil.
- Add coconut and continue to boil.
- Reduce the liquid to a quarter of the original amount, then lower heat to medium and stir occasionally until the liquid starts to caramelize.
- Turn the heat to low and stir briskly until most of the liquid is gone.
- Using a tablespoon measuring utensil, spoon mounds of the mixture onto a lightly-oiled baking tray.
- Let stand until cool and enjoy.
“We imagine a world where everyone lives with dignity … and with enough resources to meet their potential. For most of our members the food they access at PARC might be their only food source for the day.”Parkdale Activity Recreation Centre
Parkdale Activity Recreation Centre (PARC) provides a community in which people rebuild their lives. PARC works with individuals on issues such as poverty, mental health, addictions, homelessness and food security. Members are able to access services and develop relationships with staff and with one another through four key areas: a drop-in centre, a peer-support group, an outreach program and supportive housing. PARC serves breakfast, lunch and snacks everyday.