RECIPE INGREDIENTS (serves 4-6)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 lb beets, peeled and diced
- 2 L water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, sauté onions, celery and beets with oil over medium-low heat. Cover with water and add lemon juice.
- Bring to a low simmer, and cook until vegetables are very tender about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. In batches, puree the soup in a blender.
- Return pureed soup to pot and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and season with vinegar, sugar, ginger, apple sauce, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Chill overnight and serve cold.
Tip: Garnish this recipe with Greek yogurt or sour cream and chopped chives.
Food is one of the most powerful tools we have for building trust at Covenant House Toronto. Homeless youth have often been abused and rejected by the very people who were supposed to love and protect them. These youths are highly mistrustful of adults and the first step we take to establish trust with youth is to feed them.Covenant House Toronto