To mark the successful launch of our online food waste reduction eLearning modules, Second Harvest welcomed members of the public to a virtual event, “Tackling Food Waste from Field to Fork.” More than 750 people attended via Zoom and Facebook Live to learn more about how to prevent food waste in their communities, at work and at home.
Want a chance to win our sustainable living zero waste gift box valued at $70? In a 15-30 second video, tell us one thing you learned from the event. Post your video on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook and tag @SecondHarvestCA. We will draw the winner on Friday, November 13!
In Part One, we shed light on the avoidable crisis of food waste in Canada, the 3 main causes of food waste across the food supply chain, and gave an overview of our eLearning modules. (Part 1 starts at: 10:07)
In Part Two, a panel of experts who have implemented innovative ways to reduce food waste in their businesses and communities gave their perspective on the barriers to food waste prevention, and opportunities for innovation. They also shared best practices for food waste reduction in our daily lives. (Part 2 starts at: 27:50)
The panellists included:
- Laylo Atakhodjaeva: President of Road to Zero Waste.
- Bob Blumer: Celebrity chef and food waste ambassador for Second Harvest and Love Food Hate Waste
- Eli Browne: Director of Corporate Sustainability at Sobeys Inc.
- Mike von Massow: OAC Chair in Food System Leadership at the University of Guelph.
- Chef Chris Zielinski: Culinary Director and Executive Chef for all Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) properties.
We received an overwhelming number of questions from attendees who wanted to learn more. We have answered a few of them in our FAQ document.
This event was made possible through the support of the Ontario Trillium Foundation.